On October 13, 1892, John B. Morton and his colleagues Frederick W. Klienz and John P. Burleigh founded the Merchantville Field Club Organization known today as Merchantville Country Club. Originally, the club undertook all popular outdoor endeavors including baseball, cricket, tennis, golf, and even football.
In the late 1800’s, golf was not as well received as today. It consumed a large swath of land and was played with whippy hickory stick clubs, undependable balls, and tin cans, sunk into the ends of the fields. William Craig and William Stelwagon, the “Daddies” of golf in Merchantville, persisted in the club’s pursuit of golf and tennis. Their efforts cemented golf into the club culture and resulted in the club’s first golf course, although it barely resembled the course configuration of today.